Thursday, August 30, 2007

1,000 miles

My friend asked the other day for an update on the "motorcycle experiment."


As of this week, I have passed the 1,000 mile mark. So it seems like a good time to determine if the bike is breaking even yet.

I spent $800 on the bike. And I've rode it 1,000 miles - lets say that's 1,ooo a didn't put on my car.
Cost of 1,000 miles in gas at 25 mpg and $3.00 a gallon = About $120
Lets assume the bike get 50mpg (It might be a bit higher - I only spend about $5 a week.) so the gas saving there is $60.

Cost to park  a car- $14 a day x 4 days a week x 11 weeks $616 (not counting overages- they charge more if you are there for more than 10 hours, it kicks up to about $20, and happens at least once a week but we won't count it yet.)

Cost to park a bike $5 a day x 4 days a week x 11 weeks = $220 (and no overages) So the parking saving is....$396

So all in all, I've saved about $450, not bad for a guy who generally spends lots and saves very little. And considering we have 1 maybe 2 more months of decent riding weather, I may get to the $800 yet.

Also, you can't put a $ value on how much I'm enjoying it. Or how cool it makes me :)

Gin Hahn,
T

1 comment:

R & R said...

nice justification...you're just oh-so-thrifty...I am not convinced that you're cool though just 'cause you have the bike....then again, I am not convinced you needed the bike to be cool though either...

happy ridin' and gin hahn...